Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another Reason Why I Love Seattle









Had a delivery at Thackeray Pl. NE and had to look it up, once of those streets you always pass but never notice. After I parked, I spotted a poster on a utility box and walked over to inspect. Someone has pasted a poster of William Makepeace Thackeray in commemoration of the street namesake's bicentennial birthday. I looked at the date printed on the poster -- it read: 'British Satirist: Born July 18th, 1811'!! I just happened to spot it on the date the poster-person had aimed it for!

Thackeray was a British author who wrote 'Vanity Fair,' among other things. Thanks poster-person for showing me in such a novel(#omg) way how much Seattle hearts literature. (And in front of a Winchell's, to boot.)


"A clever, ugly man every now and then is successful with the ladies but a handsom fool is irrestible."

"There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write."

"The two most engaging powers of an author are to make new things familiar, and familiar things new."


~William Makepeace Thackeray











No comments:

Post a Comment